Many rumors accompanied the release of the PS5 console. Further, the question most asked was: can you play PS4 games on PS5? Among the stories, the most common one was the compatibility of PS5 with games from the last generation.
Meanwhile, the PS4 has a plethora of games, which is more than 4000. Consequently, it would be a considerable loss for players who’d already had vested interests in the previous games. In addition, committed gamers want to hold on to the last games, which is natural.
A PlayStation is an investment for some. However, the PlayStation5 is not effortlessly attainable for many, nor does it come cheap. Therefore, the backward compatibility concept is a priority for software development.
Table of Content
- Why can you play PS4 games on PS5?
- How can you play PS4 games on the PS5 console?
- Some Gadgets you Need to Play PS4 Games on PS5 Console
- Is this appliccable to all games?
- Some limitations of PlayStation 5 backward compatibility
Why can you play PS4 games on PS5?
Here’s a simplified version of the backward compatibility concept for newbies: it lets you play PS4 games on the PS5 console. Further, backward compatibility is a concept in software and hardware which allows them to work on data from earlier versions or other systems. Besides, it is a convenient characteristic for PlayStation5. Also, it is easily accessible for people.
Hence, PlayStation5’s backward compatibility makes it easy to transfer, upgrade or install PS4 games on a PS5 console.
How can you play PS4 games on the PS5 console?
Anyone can play nearly all PS4 games on the PS5 console, which is convenient. Additionally, players get access to more fun on their PlayStation. However, how can you play PS4 games on PS5?
Firstly, here are some things you will need to how can you PlayStation PS4 games on PS5 console:
- A PlayStation VR headset
- You will also need a PlayStation Camera Adaptor.
- A PlayStation Camera designed for PS4, specifically the models or CUH-ZEY2 CUH-ZEY1
Subsequently, this equipment can assist you in playing PlayStation5 games on PS5. However, PlayStation recommends a DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller, which helps you have a seamless gaming experience.
Even the PlayStation5 console allows you to play game discs on PS4. You can take the help of a disc drive for it. However, this is not applicable for the PlayStation5 digital version.
Furthermore, if you have digital games, you can quickly transfer them to the PS5 console. Simultaneously, the Wifi Data Transfer allows you to transfer game data to the PS5 console. Moreover, a compatible USB drive can also help you access PS4 game data and games on the PS5 console. Thus, it is convenient as you already use the USB drive for PS4.
In addition, you can upgrade some of your PS4 games to the PS5 version. However, you will need to check the eligibility of said PS4 games.
Some Gadgets you Need to Play PS4 Games on PS5 Console.
Yes, you do need some gadgets which help you play PlayStation 4 games on the PS5 console. Thankfully, you must already be owning all of them if you want to start PS4 games on the PS5 console to play.
These are some things which you need to keep in mind about Playstation4 games:
- Some PS4 games need PlayStation Move motion controllers.
- Some PlayStation4 games need PlayStation®VR aim controllers for compatibility reasons.
- The following things are available separately, which means you will not get them with PS5:
- DUALSHOCK 4 wireless controller
- PS Camera
- PS VR aim controller
- PS Move controllers
- PS VR headset
Also check out How to play Xbox games on PC?
Can you play PS4 games on PS5 – is this applicable to all games?
Although people can play most of the games on the PS5 console, there lie specific exceptions. Therefore, these games, unfortunately, do not work on PlayStation5.
Meanwhile, to summarize, can Playstation play on the PS5 console? Yes, you can, but there are some games excluded from this list. Further, these games are subject to change, as per the PlayStation policy. Additionally, these games do not include media, demos, or non-game applications. Hence, you can find these marked as ‘Playable on PS4 only,’ which is convenient.
- Afro Samurai 2 Revenge of Kuma Volume One
- Just Deal With It!
- Hitman Go: Definitive Edition
- We Sing
- Robinson: The Journey
- TT Isle of Man Ride on the Edge 2
Some limitations of PlayStation 5 backward compatibility
- PS5 does not support any games that have upgraded from PS3 to PS4 drive.
- PS4 game companions are not compatible.
- There is no display option for the PS4 game on the PS5 console. Screenshots of the games are allowed. You can do this by pressing the create menu button on the controller.
- PS5 does not support the In-Game Live Action feature from PlayStation.
- Some PS4 games have poor screen recording resolution. For instance, if you try recording in 3840 x 2160, you might get 1920 x 1080 resolution.
- On PS5, the HD Camera is incompatible with the PlayStation VR.
- PS5 consoles have automatic HDR. You can use the settings option to change it.
- The PS5 console does not support the PS4 Second Screen app.
Thus, the PS5’s backward compatibility has limitations. However, it is still an excellent option for gamers as it lets you play more than 4000 PS4 games. In addition, you also save on a lot of gadgets that are already available for the PS4 version.